Mowing is part of lawn maintenance. All the lovely and healthy-looking lawns you see and that you envy have grasses that are trimmed at the right height. And this contributes greatly to the overall appeal and attractiveness of any lawn.
Mowing is also one of the gardening tasks that many people do incorrectly. The mistakes you commit when mowing has an adverse effect on the health of your lawn and its overall look or appearance as well. To make sure that you are correctly carrying out your lawn mowing tasks, follow the tips and tricks below:
• Make sure the mower you will use is well-maintained. Keep your blades sharp – have them sharpened monthly or at least twice a year. Adjust the mower’s deck height to about 3 inches. Never neglect the deck’s underside as well. If possible, after every use, clean out the clippings and debris. This helps maintain the machine’s cutting quality, and it also prevents rusting.
• Always plan your cut. Never mow a freshly watered lawn; mow only dry grass. Don’t rush cutting when you are using a walk-behind mower or a riding machine as well especially if you are also mulching the lawn since this requires extra time to process the grass.
• When mowing, don’t follow your exact wheel tracks for quicker completion. Lawn maintenance experts say that it is important to vary the direction of mow each time. At each mow, try crisscrossing the mower to keep the cut at the same level. By going into alternate directions, you also disperse clippings for a cleaner and healthier lawn.
• Do not remove more than one-third of the grass blades. The stress on the blade could result in the lawn browning, especially during the summer season. Most lawn care experts say that the lowest height for any lawn to be cut is just two inches.
• Always take care when you’re mowing on slopes or hills. Avoid going into high speeds and sudden turns over hills when mowing since this tends to tear up the turf. If you’re using a walk-behind mower, mow side-to-side. When using a tractor or rider, mow straight up and down slopes. Go slow if you’re going down hills especially if you are using a zero-turn-radius mower.
• Before mowing, remove or pick up twigs, any visible debris and stones and any item that can damage your mower or leave an unsightly mess on your lawn.
Make use of the tips given above and enjoy a beautiful lawn which will improve the value of your house.